Friday, May 8, 2009

Surgery, Recovery, and Complications

So, I had a catheterization. They decided that I could have the hole in my heart repaired through another catheterization...using both legs and installing a device in the wall between the atria and voile', hole closed, no problem. Unless, of course, your amazing nurse ends up holding compression on the arterial cath site because it won't stop bleeding. Then there is the difficult night in the hospital that is salvaged by another amazinge nurse.

So, I get discharged, and head home to rest for a couple of days...no lifting anything over ten pounds, no exercise...just rest...and you will be fine. Or not. Instead, I could choose the path of dizziness, tachycardia, nausea, and extreme fatigue. Well, long story short, I call the doctor on Monday after almost passing out...again. I thought this was supposed to be over??? So, my doctor sends me to the ER (again) so that they can run some tests, which all come back normal. Haven't we been here before?

Tuesday, I head back to the doctor - he wants to run two mores tests to ensure that this isn't a pulmonary embolism. He may not understand why my heart is racing, but he is trying to find out...He puts me on meds to slow my heart rate and pull off extra fluid that is building in my system...at least until I almost pass out the next day. This is a recurrent theme! I call him and he takes me back off the meds he had prescribed just the day before.

I must admit that my doctor is truly wonderful. He not only gave me his personal cell phone number, he told me to call him if I had any more trouble. Don't call an answering service or his nurse, just call his cell phone. How many doctors do that??? He is concerned and he is willing to do what it takes to fix whatever is wrong. At least I hope he can fix it, because this is not fun.

So, I go back on Monday to revisit the wonderful doctor...tachycardia and fatigue are still present. It isn't bad if I don't have to get out of my chair and can take two naps a day...but...that really isn't a good long term plan when you have six children still living at home whom you home educate...or a husband who would like to see his wife coherent occasionally...

So, five weeks ago I could run 3 miles. Today, I can hardly walk down the driveway without needing a nap. :(

No comments: