Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Valuable Lessons Learned

I learned a few valuable lessons this week. First, if you aren't necessarily feeling in top condition, it may not be the best time to do a tempo or interval run. There are natural consequences that can occur...like almost passing out at the gym, setting off what is believed to be a cardiac event that encourages the gym management to invite the local rescue squad to the party. Well, not to be outdone, the local hospital then extends an invitation to stay...one of those invitations that you are obligated to accept...but the hospital, all in your best interest, of course, is more like the Hotel California...you can check in but you cannot check out...at least not until they administer every cardiac test known to man. And I do mean every cardiac test known to man.

Secondly, always, always make sure that you have 3 days of clothing in your gym bag, because once they send you to the hospital, you are going to need every one of those garments. And since they will be doing all kinds of stuff to you like putting you on treadmills and tables that tilt, you are going to want at least 2 days of those clothes to be gym clothes. Despite what their invitation states, the hospital is NOT a place for rest. It is, however, a place to exercise your fasting skills. Since you are scheduled for multiple tests each day, and each test requires you to fast, they don't actually feed you until 4:30 in the afternoon.

Thirdly, always give thanks and verbalize your appreciation to those who have served you tirelessly. My nurses scheduled 8 tests, chatted with multiple doctors, ordered meds, and in general, kept track of me wherever I was which was no mean feat since I literally traversed the hallways multiple times a day on the way to the next test! Awana, Kristen, and Jo...I am indebted to you for your constant concern for me and for your patience with me. You listened even when the cardiologist didn't. ("You have asthma? Really?" "Um...did ya read the chart?")

And thank you my friends, Erlene and Anita, for taking the children on short notice with no clue as to how long you would have them. Andrew and Chris...well done! You are amazing young men.

Lastly, but far from least, thank you, Billy, for staying with me. You made sure that all of my needs were met, even if it was a pillow for my back, or a shoulder for my tears. You listened and were patient when you didn't have to be. You even hooked me into the internet! Thank you.

No comments: